The Truth - the Winning Argument for Your Case

The Uncontested Divorce Process

Default Divorces & Uncontested Divorces

In California, if you fail to respond to your spouse’s divorce Petition, or if you file a Response but reach an agreement, your case will be considered either a “default” or an “uncontested divorce.” In a default case, the person that did not file a Response to the Petition in a timely manner gives up their right to have any say in the outcome of the case. This means that issues like property division, child custody, child support, spousal support, and other issues will be entirely left up to the other party, subject to approval by the judge. Most people, however, won’t go this route because they want to have an active role in important decisions that will affect their future.

Before signing any agreement with your soon-to-be ex-spouse, make sure you fully understand everything that you are agreeing to so that there is no confusion later on. It is also important that you make sure that your agreement has met all of the necessary legal requirements (for example, there are a number of considerations for calculating child support, etc.)

It is always a good idea to involve a lawyer before signing an agreement to ensure that its stipulations are in your best interest.

Creating & Submitting Written Agreements

If more than 30 days have passed and you still have not responded to your spouse’s Petition for divorce, you can still draft a written agreement with your spouse even though the case is now in default. Or, you can draft your agreement after you have responded to the Petition in order to avoid having to litigate issues related to your divorce.

Whether or not you choose to respond to your spouse’s Petition for divorce, you can work together to reach an agreement about how you end your marriage. This can include making decisions about how you will divide up your assets and debts, whether spousal support is needed, and, if you have children together, what arrangements for child support, custody, and visitation are needed.

After creating your written agreement, you must then fill out the final forms asking the court for a Judgment.

A complete list of the forms you will need to fill out, including a Request to Enter Default, Declaration for Default of Uncontested Dissolution or Legal Separation, any applicable child custody and support forms, and other required forms can be found online on the California Courts website.

After you have completed these forms, you should have them reviewed by an experienced attorney, who can check to ensure that they are completed correctly before you proceed with your case. Then, you will need to make two copies of each form. The originals stay with the court, and the two copies are for you and your spouse. You must then submit all of your forms to the court clerk, who will then pass them along to a judge for review. If everything is completed correctly, the judge will sign the Judgment without the spouses having to appear in court. If not, you may have to fix the error, or a court appearance may be necessary. Later, you will receive a copy of your Judgment in the mail.

Whether your case is contested or uncontested, divorce can be a lengthy and complex process. Contact The Buncher Law Corporation to speak with an Orange County divorce lawyer at our firm during a consultation. We’re here to help.

Helpful Family Law Resources

Family law can be complex, but there are plenty of resources available to assist you. Browse through the various resources our team provides to help simplify your legal process in every way possible.

We Have the Answers You Need