The Truth - the Winning Argument for Your Case

Living in Sin? Count me VOLUME 2:

Get In Where You Fit In: Does My Situation Qualify as a Marvin Action?

Life is complicated, particularly when you mix together family, romance, and finances. Many clients come to us with complex situations, relative to the accumulation of assets along with someone else, wanting to know if they have a case or not. Most people do not know whether or not their particular situation might give rise to a “Marvin” action, or breach of an agreement, oral or implied by conduct, to share resources. Here are some answers to common questions we receive. Hopefully they will help you or someone you know to “get in where they fit in”.

Q: Do I have to have lived in the same house with the other party during the entire relationship to have a Marvin Action?

A: No. Cohabitation is not a mandatory element of a Marvin Action. It is usually part of the picture, and is a helpful fact to demonstrate to the jury that the parties’ finances were truly intertwined. But if the parties did not live together, or if they only lived together for part of the time, there can still be a case.

Q: Can Marvin Actions stem from same-sex relationships?

A: Absolutely.

Q: I pooled my resources with, and was made promises of future support by a friend or family member, not a romantic partner. Is that a Marvin Action?

A: It can be. Marvin Actions typically take place as between romantic partners/couples. But as long as there was an agreement to share assets, to “go in together” on property, to support financially, and one party refused to act on the agreement, a Marvin Action can be an appropriate remedy.

Q: I lived with my ex-girlfriend for a long time, but we kept our finances completely separate. We did not purchase any real property, or any personal property of any value. I never told her she would have any part of my retirement account (which is the only asset I own, and only has about $10,000.00 in it). When we broke up, my ex-girlfriend demanded that I pay her a settlement, but I refused. Can she bring a Marvin Action to try and take some of my money?

A: There is nothing you can do to stop your ex-girlfriend from filing a lawsuit. However, she might not have much success. From the information provided, it does not sound like there was an implied, oral or written agreement to share assets or to work together to build a mutual estate. Your ex-girlfriend might have trouble gathering enough evidence to convince a jury of her claim (or to incentivize you to settle). Also, neither parties accumulated much, in the way of assets. It would not make financial sense for your ex-girlfriend to fight over just $10,000.00. Your ex-girlfriend will spend far more litigating the case than she would stand to gain, even if a jury found that the evidence was that you had somehow entered into a pooling agreement.

Q: My long-time partner died without a will. He promised me that I would inherit his estate. However, his children from his former relationship are contesting this, and have filed a Probate action to try and ensure that they receive the estate instead. Can I bring a Marvin Action against my partner’s estate?

A: Yes you can. You would sue the Estate and any Executor/Administrator, in their capacity as such, for the decedent’s breach of his agreement to provide you with his estate. Your lawsuit would take place in Civil Court, even though there is also a Probate action. Retaining a firm like The Buncher Law Corporation, with close ties to exceptional Probate attorneys, would be a wise choice, so your counsel can collaborate and as a team, look out for your best interest.

Helpful Family Law Resources

Family law can be complex, but there are plenty of resources available to assist you. Browse through the various resources our team provides to help simplify your legal process in every way possible.

We Have the Answers You Need